Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Road Not Taken

My path down Instructional Technology Lane brings to mind Robert Frost's classic poem "The Road Not Taken," in which two roads diverge in a yellow wood and the narrator must choose between them.  My decision to join MAITS was a last minute one -- I tend to get bogged down with schoolwork during the school year -- and I nearly opted out; however, I "hopped aboard as the doors were closing," and I'm glad to being "going for the ride."  I just finished reading and teaching Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and one of the more important underlying themes in the story is how small events and seemingly meaningless decisions and actions can alter one's life significantly and even the future, too.  This seems to be the case here, as well, with my going back to school.  My instruction will be revitalized, I think, and made current, perhaps even leading edge.  ( I can hope, at least.) Some educators may fear change; I embrace it, as long as I feel it benefits my teaching.  That decision to take the path less traveled was a last minute one, but, as Frost says in his poem, "that has made all the difference." (You can click on the picture to see the poem!)

No comments:

Post a Comment