Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Just follow the yellow brick road...

When I decided to join the MAITS graduate program and continue my education by learning about instructional technology, I soon realized that "continuing" was not the most accurate word, maybe not even in-the-ballpark accurate to describe what I would be learning.  When I was asked that first day of class what Web 2.0 tools I was familiar with, I answered, "Absolutely none," and I soon realized that what I was learning was, indeed, all new to me.  Simply said, I was learning in the fullest and most genuine sense of the word.  And it occurred to me that, like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz who remarks in wonder to her new, colorful world, "We're not in Kansas anymore," the virtual world beyond my classroom was wide and wonderful and a tad bit overwhelming, too.  However, with that worry comes wonder, and, despite being a little overwhelmed with trying to absorb new knowledge and pondering what else is out there in cyber-land, I was able to acquire proficiency with some new Web 2.0 tools and even incorporate several of these into my present teaching -- for the betterment of both teacher and students.  I was a student again, and learning.  And learning is cool -- even for old teachers!  Our first day of our next class was, perhaps, deja-vu.  What is this?  I don't know that.  How can I do that if I don't know what this or that is?  The answer is simple:  I'll learn.  So, let's get started!  (And by the way, I am on vacation and in New Orleans right now -- did I mention how the world has changed?!)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think we are in Kansas anymore - I was saying that yesterday when I was running the "Wizard" for Wimba. I was hoping for a Brain. Who was that - the scarecrow?
    Anyway, the learning is immense - certainly not continuing - I feel like the student who just walked into a quantam physics class after taking biology. Well, we are going down the yellow brick road together!

    ReplyDelete