Sunday, June 12, 2011

Let's Remember Who We Are Teaching...

Tomorrow, we end our second graduate course. And tomorrow, for two of my classes, after they complete their exams, I will say "Good-bye." These are students I have had for two years. Perhaps I should add here that they are no longer my students -- not because they have finished their work for my class -- but because, after having spent two years together, they are no longer my students. They're my kids. I know that, in this era, it may be the politically-incorrect thing to say. I don't care. It just may be that in this climate where we don't want to show others that we care about our students-- why? -- because it may be misconstrued, we need to do just that.
Recently, I found a YouTube video that underscores the powerful roles of teachers upon their students - how students can "Learn Helplessness." In a poem that I wrote for my students, I expressed my concern for comments I may have made that may have hurt I students I have taught. Who can say, after all, the impact words can have on another?
Many years ago, my grandmother died. At the time, I worked in a restaurant where I worked as a manager. I didn't attend the funeral. The owner was away, and I felt I had to work. It was my responsiblity. Ever since, every time I see that picture of my family at that funeral -- that is, of everyone except me -- I am reminded of what really matters in life: family. I vowed to myself never to let that mistake happen again.
And yet, few years ago, I was recognized as "Teacher-of-the-Year." I attended a lucheon with others who were recognized. I wondered who they were and what made them great teachers. I didn't know any of them, and didn't really care to. In the back of my mind, I thought of my kids, who were at the Activity Day picnic I would miss. Subsequently, I realized that the people I was spending my time with were meaningless to me -- not because they were not good people -- but because they were not important in my life. And the ones I should have been with, I wasn't. History, sadly, had repeated itself!
Tomorrow, I say "Good-bye" to kids I have had for two years. Tonight, I have more work that I can do for my graduate course. My work for this course, I feel, is inadequate. It does not meet my standards. That, however, does not define me. I can do better -- indeed, I know I will. Tomorrow, some of my kids will be leaving me. I need to get some rest.

3 comments:

  1. I only have my kids for 1 year and then I hand them off to another music teacher, and that really makes me sad. It feels like we just get into a routine and then it's time to send them on. I agree that these are children are more than my students, they are my kids. I do have the wonderful opportunity of keeping up with them when they enter Southern through Andrew and that makes me really happy that I get to watch them grow up from 4th grade all the way though 12th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly become my kids - I always seem to feeding them! Or at least telling them that the refrigerator is empty. Priorities - sometimes we are short sighted - I also missed my grandmothers funeral because of a job - One of the reasons I became a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in a time when teachers don't always get a lot of respect, and people think teachers don't care. When I read these comments it made me feel proud to be a teacher. I know how many teachers care about their students, just like all of you. I care about mine and still see some that are now graduated. One student reminded me he graduated 13 years ago. It made me feel a little old, but it also made me feel lucky that I have the privilege to meet so many students, get to know them, and hopefully have some sort of impact on their lives. Our students do become part of our family and I feel honored to have such a large family.

    ReplyDelete